On Sept 25th 2015, world leaders made an unprecedented commitment to people everywhere and to our planet by formally committing to the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The 17 Development Goals (SDGs) are at the core of this agenda. These SDGs represent a view of what countries, companies and citizens of the world can achieve together to protect and improve all life on earth.
The SDGs are estimated to cost US$3 trillion per year to achieve, and much of this will need to come from private resources. Long-term investments are needed in sustainable energy, infrastructure, transport, and information and communications technologies, among other sectors.
Businesses increasingly embed positive social impact and sustainability as legitimate business priorities and as a source of competitive advantage. In order to amplify the success and visibility of forward thinking businesses, The GSC has presented The Half-Billion Dollars Challenge.
All businesses change the world: The only questions are how much and how well?
We believe businesses can and will do well by doing good and we invite companies around the world to participate in our profit-with-purpose Half-Billion Dollars Challenge.
You can join our Half-Billion Dollars Challenge by pledging to make specific budgetary allocations towards your organization’s current and planned activities that align with and promote the SDGs.
“As sourcing has become more strategic, it has also taken on a more global meaning with sustainability at its core. SIG is partnering on the Half-Billion Dollars Challenge to demonstrate our commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to inspire SIG members and other supply chain leaders to adopt best practices in responsible sourcing.”
“Global business leaders recognize their role and responsibility in implementing the SDGs, but the time has come to back up words with actions. Building a smart and strategic supply chain is a vital first step in that process.”
Your Pledge can include actions you already take
You can start your participation by telling us about how your current journey aligns with certain goals whether that is in employment practices, environmental stewardship, supporting quality education or any other SDG.
Your Pledge can underscore commitment to new actions
The SDGs may also be inspiring new initiatives and courses of action that are backed by budget allocations and other forms of financial commitment. Share these substantive and financial actions with us. The action includes investment in planning, research and training in support of the SDGs.
Your Pledge to support one the UN’s 17 SDGs may include but not limited to business activities such as:
- Bringing new suppliers who demonstrate exemplary commitment to selected SDGs (SDG 8, SDG 5)
- Developing new procedures, to support the goals internally; for example Internal carbon pricing (SDG 9 and SDG 13)
- Develop internal business practices that promote, track and communicate selected goals (SDG 8, SDG 9)
- Training, Education or Organizational Development to increase awareness about the goals and increase their acceptance (SDG 4, SDG 3)
The private sector has been recognized as the critical force and dynamic stakeholder with the resources and ability to make a social impact on a global scale.
Challenge participants will:
- Receive unparalleled global visibility and recognition
- Provide inspiration to global business managers around the world
- Demonstrate leadership in aligning their companies with the SDGs
- Gain an opportunity for collaboration with companies worldwide innovate for social impact
- Grow new markets for profit with purpose
How to participate in the Half-Billion Dollars Challenge
1. Fill out and submit the Challenge application. Click here to go there now.
2. The Global Challenge Coordinator will enter your information into the Challenge database and notify you.
3. Check out your company’s pledge on the interactive Challenge Barometer.